We’ve seen significant growth in album and track sales during 2011, with Adele’s album 21 and song ‘Someone Like You’ leading the bestsellers lists.
In 2011, mobile sales accounted for 50% of 7digital downloads globally. The best selling artist of 2011 was Adele with her album 21 and track ‘Someone Like You’. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay and Snow Patrol also featured in the top 20 albums. A comprehensive list of the top 20 albums and tracks of 2011 is provided below.
Mobile growth has been driven by 7digital applications being pre-loaded on millions of devices from consumer electronics partners, including Samsung, RIM, Sony Ericsson, Philips and Toshiba. Updated 7digital apps for Android handsets and tablets, BlackBerry handsets and the launch of an HTML5 mobile site also contributed to mobile growth.
The coming months will see 7digital’s reach widen within the mobile space with the launch of a Windows phone app. A 7digital app for the iPhone, allowing users to sync purchased tracks with their device, also became available at the end of 2011.
Ben Drury, CEO 7digital comments, “We’ve seen another year of strong growth in 2011, especially from smartphone and tablet devices. Sales from mobile devices rose significantly year-on-year for the final two weeks of 2011, rising from approximately 10% in 2010 to 50% in 2011.”
“Our approach to be an open, agnostic digital content partner to the consumer electronics industry is really paying off. We know that consumers want access to their music collection on the device of their choice, anytime, anywhere and we’re helping enable that. 7digital’s catalogue of over 17 million high quality DRM-free MP3 tracks and open API platform mean we are an attractive partner for device manufacturers.”
Top 20 Albums 2011*
- Adele – 21
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – I’m With You
- Coldplay – Mylo Xyloto
- Snow Patrol – Fallen Empires
- Rihanna – Loud
- Bruno Mars – Doo-Wops & Hooligans
- Elbow – build a rocket boys!
- Foo Fighters – Wasting Light
- PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
- Beyoncé – 4
- Ed Sheeran – +
- Florence + The Machine – Ceremonials
- Michael Bublé – Christmas
- Lady GaGa – Born This Way
- LMFAO – Sorry For Party Rocking
- Lil Wayne – Tha Carter IV
- Chase & Status – No More Idols
- Bon Iver – Bon Iver
- Arctic Monkeys – Suck It And See
- Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
Top 20 Tracks 2011
- Adele – Someone Like You
- LMFAO / GoonRock / Lauren Bennett – Party Rock Anthem
- Adele – Rolling In The Deep
- Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer – Give Me Everything
- Maroon 5 / Christina Aguilera – Moves Like Jagger
- Rihanna / Calvin Harris – We Found Love
- Lady GaGa – Born This Way
- Bruno Mars – Grenade
- Jennifer Lopez / Pitbull – On The Floor
- LMFAO – Sexy And I Know It
- Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- Christina Perri – Jar Of Hearts
- Bruno Mars – The Lazy Song
- Rihanna – S&M
- Jessie J / B.o.B. – Price Tag
- Lady GaGa – The Edge Of Glory
- Snoop Dogg vs. David Guetta – Sweat (Snoop Dogg vs. David Guetta)
- Ed Sheeran – The A Team
- Foster The People – Pumped Up Kicks
- Katy Perry – Firework
* Note: the lists provided reflect sales from across 7digital’s mobile applications and web-based global stores in 37 territories, which include the UK, US, Canada, Europe and Singapore.